With winter upon us and the days getting colder, it can be hard to find ways to stay active without freezing outside. Without a gym membership, many people feel lost when it comes to staying in shape as winter approaches. Skiing and ice hockey are great sports, but they can be costly and require a lot of training and time. However, with a little creativity and some basic equipment it can be easy to stay active this quarter.
At Clark College there are many ways on campus to stay active. The Thomson Fitness Center is located in the O’Connell Sports Center. This facility has a weight room and fitness area with staff ready to help and assist you with any of your fitness needs. If you are looking for a more one on one approach there are personal fitness trainers available. Certified Personal Trainers will set-up an exercise program tailored to your needs. Appointment takes approximately 1 hour and it is $40 for Fitness Center Members & Students and $50 for Fitness Center non-members. During your appointment you will talk with your trainer about times and prices that work best for you. If you want to train with a friend or a group up to four people you can save even more money! Sessions include initial consultation, demonstration, and practice of proper exercise technique. Each session takes about 45 minutes.
Also, students who are currently enrolled in Physical Education, Fitness Trainer, HPE 266 or HPE 258 (Fitness Wellness) courses are given a FREE gym membership during that quarter. General students can buy a $20 pass per quarter. ASCC has a limited number of passes per quarter that can be purchased for $10 but it is first come, first serve. All membership fees can be paid at the cashier’s office in Gaiser Hall.
Seem a little daunting or pricy? HAVE NO FEAR! There are plenty of free ways to stay active as well. Clark College offers intramural sport programs that have recreational leagues for those looking for opportunities to learn a new sport or simply play for fun. Also, if you participate in 12 or more intramural activities during the winter quarter, you can earn a intramurals t-shirt! Here are the events for this winter quarter:
Mondays 9-10 PM
Fridays 12-2 PM
Tuesdays 12-1 PM
Thursdays 10-11 AM
Tuesdays 10-11 AM
Thursdays 12-1 PM
There are also some simple everyday changes you can make in your life that can make a big difference.
- Running or walking up and down the stairs in your house or apartment building can be a great high intensity cardio and leg workout. Choosing the stairs over the elevator is always a healthy choice when available.
- A workout DVD or even a quick YouTube search to find indoor aerobic routines can pay off when you have limited space. If you have weights, resistance bands, a skipping rope, a stability ball, trampoline, or other equipment, you can incorporate those into a great full body workout.
- Do squats, push ups, or burpees during the commercial breaks of your favorite TV shows or marathons. Resist the urge to fast forward and work out instead!
- DRINK MORE WATER. The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day.
- HAVE FUN! The most important part is having fun while staying active.
Hopefully these tips and tricks inspire you to stay active this winter quarter!
See you next time.